Monday, February 29, 2016

A Do Over

Nine Patch En Point

29 November 2014 I was wondering if I could design an interesting quilt using only Nine Patch blocks.

This is one of the quilts I came up with.




It is made using a Nine Patch block embedded in a diamond and a larger Reverse Nine Patch block en point.

29 February 2016 I am wondering if I could design an interesting border for this quilt.



What if I try the obvious - a checkerboard pattern for the border?

The border is too close to the design and doesn't read as a border.
What if I move the border out?

The spacing is better but the border is too busy.

What if I use fewer colors in the border? I can use various colors that are already in the quilt.
What if I try a two color border - red and black?
What if I try a black checkerboard?
What if I try a red checkerboard?




What if I try an orange-red checkerboard?
What if I try a grey-green checkerboard?
What if I try a light grey-green checkerboard?




All of the borders are compatible with the quilt design but I like this one best because it doesn't compete with the design.

No comments:

Post a Comment