Sunday, February 24, 2013

Scrambled Block #2

Balkan Puzzle





















Its fun to take traditional blocks and use them as the inspiration for new blocks. I make what I call Scrambled blocks by putting the units from a traditional block together in new arrangements.


Balkan Puzzle is a traditional block made from 8 units - 4 parallelograms and 4 triangles (flying geese).


What if I color those 8 units like this?


What if I reassemble the units like this?

When I do, this quilt design is the result.

What if I color the units like this?

What if I arrange the units to make this new block?

Then this quilt design is the result.

What if I try these colors?

What if I try this arrangement?

Then this is the result.


What if this is how I color the units?

And what if this is how I arrange them?

I can use the new block made this way to create this quilt design.






There are many more ways than these to scramble the units of a Balkan Puzzle block. You might want to see if you can discover a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment