Monday, April 11, 2011

Paired Blocks #19

You Can Do A Lot

With 2 Simple Blocks


























Designing quilts does not have to be difficult or complicated. Start with 2 very simple blocks. Play with how they are arranged. Experiment with how they are colored. You'll be amazed at all the different designs you create. It's easy. And it's fun.

Let me show you.

I am going to start with 2 of the simplest blocks on the planet - Friendship Star and Nine Patch.

These may be simple blocks but that doesn't mean that the quilts I make with them have to be bland. Let's see what happens when I start playing.
















I like these designs. Do you? If you do, ask yourself why. If you don't, ask yourself why not. Then ask yourself, what you would change. I suggest you try making some of those changes and see where it leads you.

To see what else I've done with these 2 blocks go to My Posts by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on Nine Patch and Friendship Star.

7 comments:

  1. There isn't enough time in the day, to keep up with all the wonderful designs you come up with. Keep up the great designs, you keep my mind churning to see what I can do next. I love all the creations you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann Marie

    I'm glad you like my designs. I hope they inspire you to create designs of your own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. Your designs are getting better and better and pretty soon you'll have me piecing.l I did do a tessellating block that you had the other day and plan to blog about it. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caroll

    It's okay to piece. Some very nice people have been known to do it.

    Let me know when you blog about the tessellating block.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wayne, I created a post today and linked to your blog. I hope you like what I said. I'm trying to work more piecing into my daily routine. Love that tessellating block.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Mr. Kollinger, I purchased your book, today, after falling in love with that top quilt design. I look forward to its arrival! I started a quilt using that design idea to see how it goes together. I learned a lot in the piecing, I can see playing with this one some more. My mind is awhirl with color effects, and expanding it out. I hope you don't mind that I am sharing my progress on my blog. If I've crossed any lines, please let me know and I'll take it down.

    Thank you so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debra

    I'm pleased to learn that you are showing your progress on your blog.

    I've designed more quilts than I'll ever be able to sew. It's nice to know that some of them are getting made.

    You'll have to email me a photo when it's done so I can share it on my blog

    ReplyDelete