Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Here's 3 Cats For You











Sometimes I start designing with a goal in mind. It doesn't happen often. Usually I just start playing and what happens, happens. But this time I wanted to make cats.


Caroll of Attic Window Quilt Shop started to make a quilt using tessellating blocks I had designed.  She put 2 blocks together and they looked like this. Sue said this looked like a cat.

The two blocks are the reverse of each other.
The basic block design looks like this.

Without even trying to, the 2 blocks manage to look something like a cat. I thought that if I refined the block it could look even more cat-like.
So I made the top ear smaller and made the tail more svelt, less stubby.
Then I moved the left hand section of the block to the right. Now the tail is on the left instead of in the middle.
Four blocks side by side make 3 cats. The fourth block is modified to get rid of extra space and an unnecessary tail.
Colored and assembled the 4 blocks look like this.

The final step before adding borders, is to applique a tongue and thread paint a face on to each of the cats.






It's not what I usually do. But it was fun. I hope you enjoy the cats.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, no, you caught me just in time. I just finished up a project and was going to work some more on that table topper you talked about above. Now I have to try these cats. They are darling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroll

    Can't wait to see what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the cats! I have 4 so maby some day I will give this one a try. The kitty face is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole

    If you do the cats, I'd love to see them.

    Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to seeing the tessellation you did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wayne,

    Love the cats!

    Judy B

    ReplyDelete