Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Borders

Wonky Jacob's Ladder


I picked this design from my 10 September 2010 post to add borders to.

What if I start by duplicating the block grid around the outside of the design?


What if I use part of the design as cornerstones and fill in between with stripes?

This is too busy for me.


What if I make a border composed of simple squares?

This might work with a different design but I don't think it suits this one.


What if I place a multicolored accent border on the inside and add plain borders around it?

The accent border does not pick up the rhythm of the design like I hoped it would.


What if I forget the accent border?

This is pleasant and it works, but I don't like having the narrow border on the outside.


What if I play with the width of the borders?

I like this better.


What if I give the design more "breathing " space?

I think this has a bit more punch. So this is my final answer.






For more border ideas go to My Post by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on Borders.

2 comments:

  1. I like both of the last two .... if i was making it I think the choice would depend on how much fabric I had.
    I would have to toss a coin if I had enough for either!

    Judy B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy

    The decision could also depend on where the quilt is going to be used.

    The last one is framed like a picture and would be suitable as a wall hanging.

    The second last one would work better as a lap quilt.

    ReplyDelete