Thursday, September 2, 2010

Amish Star #5

Borders

Amish Star Quilt


This quilt design is from yesterday it is based on an Amish Star block.

Today I want to see if I can find borders for it.


What if I create a border using Amish Star blocks?

This is too busy; the border detracts from the quilt.


What if I make the border less busy by darkening the centers of the Amish Star blocks?

This is too dark, too heavy; the border dominates the quilt.


What if I use only part of the Amish Star blocks, connect them with a plain accent border and then add a background border?

This creates a silhouette that frames the design and contrasts with it. It works nicely. This is a keeper.


What if I return to the second version and tone it down?

The border is less dominant than before but it doesn't really suit the quilt design.


What if I tone it down even more?

This is much better suited but somewhat wishy-washy.


What if I replace the outside edge of the sashing with an accent border?

I like this; it is simple yet effective. This makes an attractive bed quilt. I think I'll put it on my to do list.







For more border explorations go to My Posts by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on Borders.

No comments:

Post a Comment