Saturday, July 24, 2010

Colors

Friendship Star


This is the center of the quilt I designed yesterday. It consists of 4 blocks repeated. Each of those blocks is made from 4 Friendship Star blocks rotated.

I want to see what happens to the pattern when I change the location of the three colors.


What if I keep the green star but switch the brown and beige?

I get 4 X's instead of 4 O's.  If I expand this pattern and the one above they are identical except at the edges. The beige pinwheels are the background to a brown/green lattice.


What if I go back to the original pattern and switch the brown and green?

I get O's again; but this time the O's feature brown stars instead of brown pinwheels.



What if I keep the brown star and switch the green and beige?

I get X's again. If I expand this pattern and the one above they are identical.


What if I make the stars beige?

I get beige stars against a background of brown and green pinwheels.


What if I switch the brown and green?

This is virtually the same pattern as above.

What did I learn?  Two things. First, by changing how a pattern is colored I can change the pattern ; but not always. Second, color has a greater impact than pattern; at first glance all of these patterns look similar because they use the same colors.




For more color explorations go to My Posts by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on Colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment