Friday, July 2, 2010

Applique

Curved Tear Drop Placemat


Playing with a curved tear drop on 27 June 2010, I discovered some interesting applique designs. But they were just designs, not quilts.


Today, using a curved tear drop again, I want to experiment with designs for 12" x 18" placemats.











































It always amazes me how many different designs can be created by repeating a single simple shape over and over. The secret to finding them is to ask what if...? repeatedly.

The designs for this post were made using Paint, which is a very simple drawing program. It only allows me to rotate the tear drop shape 90 degrees. My wife has ordered a Go fabric die that cuts tear drop shapes. When I get that, I'll be able to do real-world designs on my design wall and place the tear drops at any angle. That will mean a whole new series of design possiblities.

For more applique designs go to My Posts By Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on Applique.

6 comments:

  1. Great designs. Thanks for sharing.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Love the placemats and love your "what if...?" we all need to take time to think about this and be creative!

    Leona

    ReplyDelete
  3. SewCalGal

    Thanks for your comment. Sometimes I think there is a very fine line between sharing and bragging. I'm not always sure which side of the line I'm on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leona

    Everybody is creative. Everybody asks "What if..?" subconsciously. But when you ask "What if..?" out loud, when you ask it consciously, then you push yourself to be even more creative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. Love the way you play with shapes and color.Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bia

    I should confess that I had help with this. The tulip-shaped flowers are based on an idea from my wife.

    ReplyDelete