Thursday, June 10, 2010

Tessellation

What if I start with this simple tessellation and see if I can use it to build a more interesting one.
(To review tessellation go to my 17 April 2010 post)


What if I put 4 of these together rotated?

Does this tessellate?


Yes it does. A single shape repeats and fills the space.


What if I fill the tessellating shape with oranges. I'll start with a light orange in the top left and progress to a dark orange-brown in the bottom right.



What if I put 4 of the tessellating shapes together rotated?

I get a diamond-shaped pattern.




What if I put 4 of the diamond-shaped pattern together to make an even larger diamond?

I think this is very interesting and it needs a border.


What if I add a black border?

I like this very much. However, I still need to divide the top into individual blocks before I can sew it easily.

I'll do that another day. Right now I'd like to try one more thing.


What if I go back to the original block and fill in the missing color?

The appropriate colors can be found by inspecting the above quilt top.



What if I take 12 of this block; repeat some of them and rotate some of them?

I get this quilt top. It is an extended version of the previous one with the edges squared off.

The tessellation I started with is no longer obvious. But so what? When you end up some place you like, where you started from doesn't matter any more.

I am happy with both versions.



For more tessellation go to My Posts by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on Tessellation.

8 comments:

  1. Anna

    Tack själv; thank you for your kind comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is a great one. I have been getting insparation from your blog for a couple of months now. This on is my favorite! Now it is off to the craft store to start gathering some fabric. Thank you for sharing your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love the one with the black border - just gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole

    If you make this quilt, be sure to email me a photograph of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara Ann

    I like the one with the black border too. I think the black makes the colors richer. And I think the serrations add interest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree - this is my favorite so far! Great design and the colors are sumptuous!

    ReplyDelete