Saturday, May 15, 2010

Playing with Borders

Broken Dishes


A week ago (8 May 2010) I designed this quilt top using 6" on point Broken Dishes blocks.

I added white all around the outside edge to make it 72" x 72". Now I want to design a border using 6" Broken Dishes blocks.


What if I alternate blue and yellow Broken Dishes blocks to make a border?

This border is too small. It lacks impact.













What if I add another row of Broken Dishes blocks?

Better, but the border is too much like the quilt. It  feels bland to me.




What if I replace some of the yellow in the border with black?

The border reads as a border now; it has a separate identity.

I'm still not happy with this border. Something about the colors bothers me.



What if I take the yellow and blue out of the center of the blocks and replace them with white?

I think this border does a good job of framing the quilt and reflecting its character while maintaining a separate identity.







For more quilts using Broken Dishes blocks go to My Posts by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on Broken Dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment