Wednesday, May 19, 2010

On Point

King's Crown


I want to design an on point quilt.


What if I start with a King's Crown block and turn it on point?



What if I make a second block with the colors reversed?



What if I combine 2 of each block to make this unit?



What if I combine 4 of the units to form a closed loop?


I need to fit this into a square.



What if I add the first on point block to each of the 4 corners?

I've got a square.

The center of this is ideal for some elegant quilting.



What if I add the second on point block to the center of the pattern?


There is still a lot of room for quilting; but the quilting will be less important to the overall design than in the previous design.





For more ideas using King's Crown blocks go to My Posts by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on King's Crown

2 comments:

  1. I love the negative space, it is something I neglect to think about. Glad you showed possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marj

    Thanks for pointing out the negative shapes. I wasn't even thinking about them all that much; I was focused more on the idea that these would be ideal spaces for quilting. But there is no question that negative shapes can add a great deal to a quilt design.

    When I look at the final design from a distance it reminds me of lace, or the bedspreads and tablecloths that my grandmother used to crochet.

    ReplyDelete