Monday, April 5, 2010

Playing with Letters











From My Pieced Alphabet:

Spy Hill

Like my alphabet Crowchild (see 25 January 2010), Spy Hill is a stencil alphabet.  With Crowchild I tried a simplified modern look.  In the case of Spy Hill I want a more traditional look.

 







           Crowchild                                          Spy Hill

There is a greater variety of line width in the Spy Hill alphabet.  This creates a livelier visual rhythm and allows for more subtlety. On the other hand Crowchild is more staid.

Spy Hill also requires more piecing than Crowchild.  It's not a lot more work but it is more work. 

Is it worth the extra effort?  It all depends on the look you want.




For more lettering ideas go to My Posts by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on Lettering

3 comments:

  1. HI Wayne, I enjoyed reading your "About Me" and "Why I started this blog," as well as your posts about letters. I have always wanted to design a quilt, but I never have. I think, for me, there are two reasons: (1) Lack of time! and (2) No one has really taught me. I think there's a little fear, there, too, that it won't be "good enough." I am intrigued by the letters you've shown and by your comment of using some on the back. I need to think about it more, but I am going to try to give it a go on one of my upcoming quilts. I'm thinking of a monogram on the back of a baby quilt...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie

    If you can sew a quilt, you can design one.

    If you've ever used fabrics that are different from what a pattern called for, or reworked a border, or played with how a quilt is quilted, or added embellishments to a quilt, then you've already done some designing.

    Designing a quilt takes less time than sewing one.

    It's a great feeling to be able to look at a quilt and say, "I sewed it." Similarly, it's a great feeling to look at a quilt design and say, "I designed it." But to be able to look at a quilt and say, "I sewed it and I designed it", is the greatest feeling of all.

    If you design a quilt and you decide it's not "good enough", don't have to show it to anyone. But if you decide you like it you can show it to everyone.

    The best way to learn to design is to start designing.

    I've written a book,"Desiging Quilts is Easy!", the whole purpose of that book is to show you how to design.

    There you are. I think I've answered all your objections.

    One last thing, a bit of incentive, if you were to design a quilt, I would be so proud of you that people would think I'm your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wayne, I love those comments. Thanks! I will get up the gumption one of these days, I promise. And you'll be the first to know (even before my mother!).

    ReplyDelete