Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Playing with Blocks

Empire Star

Yesterday I tried coloring an Empire Star block various ways. Most of the new blocks I found this way didn't seem to amount to much.
What if I take 4 Empire Star blocks, assemble them rotated to make a square, and then try my color variations from yesterday in this square?  Will it make a difference?



















 









It does make a difference. Blocks that looked like nothing when they were all by themselves suddenly come to life. Rotating these blocks created the sort of symmetry we are accustomed to seeing in quilt blocks.  It gave them the structure they needed.

The moral is: Don't give up on a block too soon. It may just need a few friends to help it along.

For more ideas on playing with blocks go to My Posts by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on Blocks

No comments:

Post a Comment