Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Playing with Quilting

Ohio Star

I am going to start with this arrangement of 4 Ohio Star blocks and see if I can devise some decorative quilting that will enhance them.
What if I create horizontal and vertical connections between the blocks?

What if I cap the connections with semi-circles?

This adds emphasis to the stars and gives more structure to the quilt.
What if I echo quilt beside the connecting lines?

The double line detail brings this to life.  And the additional semi-circles add even more emphasis to the stars.
What if I create a series of concentric circles inside the stars?

This detracts from rather than add to the impact of the stars.  It looks messy.
What if I add more stars and a plain blue border?

What if I add some white on white echo quilting to finish the background?





The echo quilting is interesting and will push the stars forward.  Stippling would work too.



For more quilting ideas go to My Posts by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on  Quilting

No comments:

Post a Comment