Friday, March 26, 2010

Playing with Piecing

Hummingbird

I got out my gridded paper and drew this picture of a hummingbird. It will make a fine quilt block once I've figured out how to piece it.
To start I'll show my seam lines in red. The eye and the beak I plan to stitch so I'll show those in orange.

What if I divide the image into 3 horizontal bands?

This is a nice start but I'm not keen on stitching the beak on a seam line.

What if I place a vertical seam line where the beak meets the birds head?

I'll show my next seam lines in blue.

What if I separate out the head, the body, and then the tail?

When I color it I get a Ruby Throated Hummingbird. Or, at least, a reasonable facsimile of one.

I think some echo quilting, especially around the wings, would give an impression of motion.




For more pieced birds go to My Post by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on Birds.

4 comments:

  1. Wayne,

    I don't think I would bother separating the tail ..... doing so creates a seam in the background that isn't really needed, and a tricky spot with one very fine point.

    Judy B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy

    Good point.
    The vertical blue line indicating a seam to the left of the tail feathers is not needed. Why bother to sew two bits of the sky together when they can be one piece to start with?
    Thanks for pointing this out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    I like the way you play with blocks, quilting designs and specially piecing animals, making it the simple way and it amaze me.
    It's a beautiful hummingbird.
    Thanks for share.

    ReplyDelete