Monday, February 22, 2010

Playing with Letters














From My Pieced Alphabet:

25th Avenue

Grids are useful to use for designing letters.  But there are times when it is better to ignore the grid.



This K was designed by sticking faithfully to a grid.

It is a good looking letter.  But it can be improved.  What bothers me is that the kink in the right hand vertical stroke is narrower than the rest of the stroke. It's not a big thing but I would like to change it.






What if I ignore the grid and keep the right hand stroke constant?

The first result is esthetic and subtle.  The K is now more consistent with itself and with other letters in the alphabet.

The second result is practical.  The fussy point where the left and right hand strokes meet has been eliminated.  This K is easier to sew.




For more lettering ideas go to My Posts by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on Lettering

No comments:

Post a Comment