Sunday, February 28, 2010

Playing with Blocks

Nine Patch

What if I ignore the traditional coloring for a Nine Patch block?
What if I color it like this instead?

What if I use 4 of these rotated to make a larger block?
Actually, I'll make 2 different larger blocks from the Nine Patch block - one with light tan in the center, and one with dark green in the center.
What if I use these 2 blocks in a checkerboard pattern?

I've got a super-large Nine patch block which reads best from  distance.

Close up this reminds me a little of plaid.











For more Nine Patch ideas go to My Posts by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on Nine Patch

2 comments:

  1. This would be a great quilt for a guy... in tans or blues. I like the plaid look, but also the visual delusion that the strips are curving. You must now offer some ideas on how to quilt this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elsie

    I didn't notice the visual illusion of curved lines until you mentioned it. I think this may be caused by the light grey construction lines. My theory is that they blend with the light squares making the light squares appear larger and the dark squares appear smaller. I don't think the curved lines will appear in the actual quilt.

    ReplyDelete